In addition to diisocyanate-free one-component systems – such as our SEETHAN® foam coating – there are also numerous two-component systems on the market. With these, several components must be mixed on site so that the plastic polyurethane can be created as a component for the foam coating in a chemical reaction. Especially for the raw material diisocyanate, which is frequently used here, there have been serious legal changes in occupational safety with effect from August 24, 2023.
Restriction of diisocyantes according to Annex XVII, Entry 74 of regulation EC 1907/2006 (REACH)
Studies on diisocyantes indicate that respiratory sensitisation, due to both dermal and inhalation exposure to diisocyanates, leads to occupational asthma in workers, which has been identified as a significant occupational health problem in the European Union. Therefore, a restriction was proposed that aims to limit the use of diisocyanates in industrial and professional applications to those cases where a combination of technical and organisational measures are implemented, and a minimum standardised training course has been followed.
According to Annex XVII, Entry 74 of the REACH regulation, diisocyanates shall not be used as substances on their own, as a constituent in other substances or in mixtures for industrial and professional use(s) after 24 August 2023, unless:
(a) the concentration of diisocyanates individually and in combination is less than 0,1 % by weight, or
(b) the employer or self-employed ensures that industrial or professional user(s) have successfully completed training on the safe use of diisocyanates prior to the use of the substance(s) or mixture(s).
If conditions as detailed in (a) are not fulfilled, the supplier has to ensure that the following statement is placed on the packaging: “As from 24 August 2023 adequate training is required before industrial or professional use”.
Does this problem concern you?
Are you looking for an alternative to your currently used two-component system?
Then you have come to the right place!
Our advantages over a two-component system:
- Significantly lower occupational safety requirements, since SEETHAN® is free of diisocyanates.
- Easy handling, since SEETHAN® is supplied as a one-component system ready to spray. Inaccuracies in weighing, deviating reaction times and compliance with pot life are a thing of the past.
- Cured and thus no longer usable production mixtures do not arise in the first place and thus do not have to be destroyed.
- Opened containers can be reused at any time.
- High flexibility when coating, as the surface can be kept wet longer for larger areas by adding thinners.
- More stable bond, as the organic solvents fuse the polyurethane coating to the polyurethane foam.
- Stable supply availability, as we are not affected by decreasing availability of diisocyanates due to restrictions.
We are looking forward to your inquiries and remain
with kind regards
Your team See-Plastik